A little summary of my last official week of my first Whole30. I will write another post in the next few days about my thoughts on the whole process, and hopefully to share some of my favourite recipes, or things that I made for the first time.
Aside from giving myself a pretty bad tummy-ache this week from either a) eating a bad egg, b) eating raw plantain (thinking it was a weirdly shaped banana) or c) a combination of both, I’ve been feeling pretty good. I’ve been very tired (lots of early mornings and an increase in training volume), but I’ve been managing to up the volume of food I’m eating too, and I’m not getting nearly as hungry now. Although having said that, after essentially missing a meal on Saturday due to my bike-ride timing, I was predictably ravenous all day Sunday (day 22)!
- Breakfast – Half a grapefruit, raw carrot slices and chopped cucumber, 2 scrambled eggs with sautéed mushrooms and green pepper
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce), with chopped green pepper, cucumber, mushroom, half an avocado, raw carrot slices, pomegranate seeds and flaked tuna.
- Dinner – Coconut-oil stir-fried chicken, onions and green pepper, oven roasted squash, broccoli and blanched julienne carrots.
- Snacks – Post-ride banana, raw carrot sticks, fresh Omani dates and apple, mango and dates mid-afternoon.
- Drinks – Water, black coffee, Peppermint tea, Kiwi & cranberry juice with water.
- Breakfast – Half a grapefruit, chopped cucumber and pomegranate seeds, handful of cashew nuts, 5 dates, 3 scrambled eggs with sautéed mushroom and green pepper.
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce), with chopped green pepper, cucumber, fresh parsley, fresh coriander, sliced raw carrots, pomegranate seeds, half an avocado and steak strips. Banana for dessert.
- Dinner – Pan fried cumin, paprika & pepper chicken breast, oven roasted squash, and Romaine lettuce, chopped cucumber, half a chopped apple, olives and pomegranate seeds.
- Snacks – Post-ride apple, fresh Omani dates. Pre-run carrot sticks, post run a few pieces of chicken stir-fry leftovers, plus orange slices and watermelon chunks.
- Drinks – Peppermint tea, lots of water, Kiwi & cranberry juice with water.
- Breakfast – Half a grapefruit, chopped red pepper, cucumber and pomegranate seeds, handful of cashews, 5 chopped dates and 2 fried eggs, sunny side up.
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce), chopped cucumber, green pepper, half an apple, chopped carrot, half an avocado, pomegranate seeds, chopped dates and pan-fried chicken breast slices, with a little olive oil and vinegar.
- Dinner – Oven roasted squash, beet slices, stir-fried onion and red pepper with cinnamon & cumin chopped toms, pan fried beef, fresh coriander (and a handful of cashews whilst cooking). Banana, mango, date, cashew & tahini smoothie post-dinner.
- Snacks – Post ride banana, mid morning apple.
- Drinks – Peppermint tea, water, kiwi & cranberry juice with water.
- Breakfast – Half a grapefruit, cold oven roast squash, leftover onion, pepper & tomato mix, chopped cucumber and 2 fried sunny side up eggs.
- Lunch #1 – Green salad (Romaine lettuce), with chopped cucumber, fresh coriander, dates, carrot, beets, cashews and beef strips.
- Lunch #2 – Hard boiled egg, tuna, raw yellow & orange pepper, sliced cucumber, pineapple chunks, watermelon, apple, dates and sultanas.
- Dinner – Bolognese with carrot and courgette, savoy cabbage, broccoli and olives.
- Snacks – None
- Drinks – Water, peppermint tea, kiwi & cranberry juice with water.
- Breakfast – Half a grapefruit, leftover broccoli, sliced cucumber and raw courgette, handful of cashews and 2 fried eggs, sunny side up.
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce), with chopped cucumber, raw courgette, sliced beets, chopped dates, half an avocado, half a chopped apple and steak strips.
- Dinner – Ginger beef stir fried with orange pepper, onion and courgette, mashed sweet potato and mango, avocado, coriander and onion salsa (adapted from http://www.everydaypaleo.com).
- Snacks – Carrot sticks (total 1 carrot), apple slices (total half an apple)
- Drinks – Water, black coffee with 3 dates soaked in it (yummy coffee dates after!), tropical juice (no added sugar) with water and Elete electrolytes.
- Breakfast – Leftover beef Bolognese, carrot sticks, raw orange pepper, half a sliced apple, handful of cashews and 4 dates
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce), carrot sticks, half a chopped apple, chopped dates, chopped courgette and cucumber, olives and steak strips.
- Dinner – Red thai chicken curry in roasted squash shell, roasted squash & savoy cabbage
- Snacks – Post 22km run 2 hard boiled eggs. Post climb banana, half a mango, half an apple, 4 dates, tahini, almond and coconut milk smoothie.
- Drinks – Apple & beet juice with water & Elete electrolytes, water, water with electrolytes.
- Breakfast – Thai red chicken 2 egg omelette, half a grapefruit, chopped cucumber, courgette, pomegranate seed and cashew salad.
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce), chopped raw pepper, cucumber, courgette, carrot sticks, half an avocado, pomegranate seeds, tuna.
- Dinner – Beef Bolognese, mashed sweet potato, savoy cabbage, olives, apple, cucumber, green pepper and pomegranate seed salsa.
- Snacks – Handful of nuts
- Drinks – Water, iced coffee with coconut milk, dates and cinnamon.
- Breakfast – Half a grapefruit, leftover sweet potato mash, raw yellow pepper, half a sliced apple, leftover apple, pepper & cucumber salsa, 2 scrambled eggs.
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce), chopped cucumber and green pepper, carrot sticks, leftover Savoy cabbage, pomegranate seeds and steak strips.
- Dinner – Almond & coconut breaded chicken goujons, roasted beets, cauliflower, and onion, courgette, green pepper and tomato salsa. Sliced pear, chopped dates, pomegranate seeds, nut butter and splash of coconut milk for pud.
- Snacks – 1 date & cashew bar, post-ride banana, post-ride carrot.
- Drinks – Peppermint tea, black coffee, water, tropical juice (no added sugar) with water and Elete electrolytes.
- Breakfast – Half a grapefruit, cucumber and green pepper sticks, compliant tomato salsa, handful of mixed almonds and walnuts, 2 fried eggs.
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce), with chopped cucumber, courgette, half an apple, carrot slices, chopped dates, pomegranate seeds, almonds, olives and steak strips.
- Dinner – Half a 5-egg onion, green pepper and courgette omelette, with boiled carrots, savoy cabbage, sliced beets, green olives and compliant tomato salsa. Chopped pear, half a chopped apple, 3 dates and spoonful of homemade nut butter for pudding.
- Snacks – 1 leftover chicken goujon post-ride, mid-morning banana, post-run carrot sticks and apple slices.
- Drinks – Lemon and Ginger tea, water, beet & apple juice with water.
This week I really have had to pay attention to what I’m eating, and how much. I have had to start cycle commuting to work (started on day 18), which is a 25km cycle each way. Having always been a cyclist, that distance doesn’t seem a lot. However, when you factor in that it’s a fast cycle (along the hard shoulder of a dual carriageway), in very hot & humid weather (it’s still summer in Oman), being chased every morning by wadi dogs (hungry strays) and trying to maintain running training as my priority, it has caused a few problems. Prior to this week I have normally been cycling (mostly) once a week, on the turbo since about February/march (when it got too hot and I decided I’d prefer a lie-in to a 5.30am cycle!). In the last few weeks I’ve started going back out on my Saturday morning cycle, which in retrospect was a really good thing now that I’ve had to get on my bike every day! After commuting home on Wednesday (day 18), full commute on Thursday, 22km run on Friday, 75km cycle Saturday, full commute on Sunday (day 22) and morning commute plus evening run session on Monday and Tuesday, a full commute on Wednesday (day 25) proved too much. Tuesday night’s run session had been a flat, speed intervals session of 12km, which I worked pretty hard at. My legs knew it when I got on my bike on Wednesday morning. Slow and sluggish all the way to work, even after a good sized breakfast. I think my main mistake was probably not to have any post-workout food immediately after I’d finished, meaning that I didn’t actually eat anything until about an hour after I’d finished the workout by the time I got home. I was still so hungry after dinner that I caved in and made another smoothie, despite last week’s intentions not to have anymore during this 30 days – plus I had a rather squishy banana and mango that I didn’t really want to eat in their current squishy states!
My packed lunch on Wednesday had gone down the hatch by the time it reached 11am, absolutely starving. This is about the time I normally have a little snack of cold veggies etc. and I realised I am having this snack because I’m actually quite hungry by this time, rather than just because my brain is telling me I want to eat (I do enjoy eating for the pleasure of it, rather than just to fuel myself!). So when the call went out in the office if anyone needed to go to the supermarket to get lunch, I decided that still feeling weak and tired, a second lunch was in order. A reasonably large plate of salad with an egg and some tuna got cleared pretty quickly at about 2pm. At about half 3 – 4 I finally started feeling a little better, a bit of energy was coming back, and I think my body was starting to recover a bit from 8 days of exercise (it’s been a while since I did 2 sessions in a day, or even exercised regularly every single day!). The commute home was very hot and humid after a few days of slightly cooler temperatures, and I still had no energy, and very heavy legs. After a huge food shop (now that Niall is back from the UK and can drive me places again), a hot dinner and the promise of an early-ish night, things are hopefully put to rights.