I am now 14 days into my first Whole30 challenge; here’s how I have been getting on (and what I’ve been eating!) during week 2.
- Breakfast – Two soft boiled eggs, half a grapefruit, carrot sticks, chopped mushrooms and a handful of mixed cashews and almonds.
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce) with chopped apple, mushroom, cucumber, julienne carrot and beef bacon strips. Banana for dessert.
- Dinner – Roasted butternut squash and roast garlic puree (from It Starts With Food), grilled pepper chicken, savoy cabbage and a handful of halved olives.
- Snacks – Handful of beef jerky after work.
- Drinks – Coffee with coconut milk, lemon water.
- Breakfast – Half a grapefruit, beef jerky, sliced banana with 3 chopped dates, sprinkle of sliced almonds and desiccated coconut with a splash of coconut milk
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce) with savoy cabbage, carrot shavings, pomegranate seeds, half an avocado, beef bacon strips. Apple for dessert
- Dinner – Vegetable curry, cauliflower rice and 2 hard boiled eggs. Slice of melon for dessert.
- Snacks – Handful of beef jerky post-run.
- Drinks – Coffee with coconut milk, Peppermint tea.
- Breakfast – 1 scrambled egg with beef bacon strips, sliced banana with 3 chopped dates, sprinkle of sliced almonds and desiccated coconut with a splash of coconut milk.
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce) with half an avocado, green pepper, pomegranate seeds, mushroom, beef bacon strips and a hard boiled egg. Apple for dessert.
- Dinner – Courgetti Bolognese. Beef, veg and tomato sauce, with courgette sautéed in coconut oil. Sliced pear, with a few chopped dates and cashews with coconut milk for dessert.
- Snacks – Handful of mixed beef jerky and cold chicken post-hill reps run session
- Drinks – Lemon and ginger water, black coffee.
- Breakfast – 1 egg Bolognese omelette, green pepper strips, small bowl of chopped dates, cashews, desiccated coconut and splash of coconut milk.
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce) with chopped apple, green pepper, chopped courgette, steak strips and sliced olives. Pear for dessert.
- Dinner – Apple and Thyme grilled chicken breast, grilled Portobello mushroom, cooked carrots, wilted spinach and a dollop of homemade baba ganoush.
- Snacks – a (large) handful of fresh dates.
- Drinks – Lemon and ginger water, coffee with coconut milk, peppermint tea, glass of Beet and Apple juice (half and half with water).
- Breakfast – 2 fried eggs, green pepper slices, chopped cucumber, spoonful of beef Bolognese sauce, plus small handful of cashews.
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce) with chopped cucumber, green pepper, half an avocado, 1/3 chopped apple and steak slices. Small amount of leftover veggie curry with cauliflower rice.
- Dinner – Romaine lettuce fajitas – spiced chicken, stir-fried onion and green pepper, compliant salsa & homemade guacamole. Slice of melon for dessert.
- Snacks – Banana, coconut water & apple & beet juice smoothie.
- Drinks – Apple and Beet juice (½ w and ½ with water), coldbrew coffee, lemon and ginger water.
- Breakfast – Post-17km-run breakfast of 2 scrambled egg with mushroom & green pepper, chopped courgette, banana, apple & beet juice (½ & ½ with water).
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce), green pepper, mushroom, pomegranate seeds, baba ganoush, stir-fried fish.
- Dinner – Beef burger, sweet potato mash, savoy cabbage with pomegranate seeds and walnuts.
- Snacks – Apple, Mango, 5 dates, 3 walnuts, handful of sugarsnap peas & chopped green pepper.
- Drinks – Iced cardamom-roast coffee with coconut milk.
- Breakfast – pre-ride 2 egg omelette with leftover Bolognese, chopped green pepper & pomegranate seeds, sugarsnap peas and a handful of mixed almonds and cashews.
- Lunch – Green salad (Romaine lettuce), chopped green pepper, mushroom, half an avocado, baba ganoush, pomegranate seeds and sliced beef.
- Dinner – Fish curry with roasted cauliflower, savoy cabbage and carrots.
- Snacks – mid-107km ride handful of beef jerky, sugarsnap peas, banana, date & cashew nut bar. Apple.
- Drinks – 4L water & 750ml apple & beet with water & elete hydration water during ride, 660ml O.N.E coconut water post-ride rehydration, iced cardamom-roast coffee.
Things to notice so far – my nails are growing more quickly than they normally do. I’m tired in the evenings, and am going straight to sleep when I go to bed, but waking up easily in the mornings (more than can be said for Niall!). Tummy & digestion seem to be happy, and apart from some cake cravings (not helped by browsing amazing looking cakes and paleo cakes on Pinterest when I was hungry!), generally pretty happy with the food I’m eating. Grocery bill has increased a bit, but considering we haven’t eaten out at all in the last 2 weeks, it more than balances itself out. Am loving cooking with coconut oil, and enjoying eating things like avocados more often (had avoided eating them too often previously because of the fat!).
Although I know you’re supposed to stay away from fruit juice, I have started to include it back into my drinks towards the end of this week, as a) I found some nice looking juices without added sugar (woooohooo!), and b) I am really struggling with staying hydrated, even drinking what feels like gallons of lemon infused water. I have Elete hydration solution for use on long runs etc, but as it’s expensive I don’t want to be using it day-to-day. Coconut water is super cheap if you buy it fresh from a juice stall, but you can’t buy it in the supermarkets without added sugar (N.B I’ve now found O.N.E coconut water in one of my local supermarkets, but at the equivalent of £2 for a 330ml carton!). I have found that even the juice with no added sugar is still a bit too sweet for me now, so am watering it down, ½ and ½ juice to water.
I’ve made homemade baba ganoush for the first time this week, guacamole, roasted butternut and roasted garlic puree, and date & nut cashew bars for my long bike ride. Win win in the kitchen!